Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tastes of 2 momma's recipes...

For this week's blog hop...it's all about recipes...

Mr. B's mom (Lorain) and my mom (Remie) were wonderful cooks! So, I thought I would pick one recipe from each. (It was hard, since we have quite a number to choose from, so I thought I would pick two quick & easy recipes).

Lorain (of Portuguese descent) was born and raised in Hawaii. And one of the things I remember when I first met her as her newlywed daughter-in-law was the amount of food they make for get-togethers! Since they were not able to be at our wedding in Wisconsin, when we went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, they gave Mr. B & I a Hawaiian style luau inviting family and friends. I have never seen such HUGE pots and baking pans! And it was complete with a huge pig that was roasted in a pit dug into the ground.


Lorain's Corn Meal Cake
1 block of butter
2 eggs, beaten
3 tblsp yellow corn meal
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 cups Bisquick mix
1/2 tsp bking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
~>cream butter & sugar~>add eggs & blend~>add corn meal, bisquick, bking powder, milk & blend well with rotary beater.
~>pour into buttered square pan and bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 30 miinutes.
~>Spread top with 1/2 block butter while cake is hot. Serve warm.


Remie was born in the Philippines and married my dad, who was in the Air Force. About every two years, we moved and she made every place we lived ~ Home :o) She amazed me in that no matter what, when, where or who...she always had a delicious meal ready. Everyone was welcome. She did love to try new recipes. But often she would "create" to taste.


Remie's Panfried Beef & Onions

beef roast (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tblsp garlic powder
1/4 stick butter
1 sweet vidalia onion (thinly sliced)
1 lemon
1/4 cup soy sauce

~>coat thinly sliced beef roast in the flour & garlic powder mixture (you can do this in a gallon zip lock bag)
~>pan fry breaded beef in melted butter (may need to add more butter-I'm estimating amount)
~>add onion slices and continue pan-frying until meat is cooked through and brown.
~>squeeze lemon all over beef and onion
~>add 1/4 cup soy sauce to pan
*serve over hot rice*

MckLinky Blog Hop

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for coming by and for becoming a follower! My mother-in-law did something similar to the Panfried Beef and Onions and it was so yummy! I'll have to try the Corn Meal Cake too! I love the pictures and the little stories to go with them.

Tim said...

This looks great! So glad to have found your blog thru the hop. I love it. You have a beautiful family.

I hope you wont mind if I follow along.

Please feel free to stop by The Fort anytime, you are always welcome!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Emily said...

Thanks for checking out my blog, it is wonderful that we have so much in common. Can I just say your sketches are BEAUTIFUL! I am in awe.

I am not a huge cornmeal fan but am definatly going to try the steak and onions YUM!

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Hey!! Just wanted to let you know I wrote up the instructions for adding a blog button to your blog. :) The link is in my last post.

xo
jennifer

momstheword said...

Yummy, these sound great!

I love that you washes his wallet once, hehehe! Love to see what it looked like afterwards!

My dad ironed his clothes really well too, thanks to his time in the military. Mom said he used to iron my dresses when I was a toddler.

Anonymous said...

found you through the hop
http://bestjoanne.info/2009/uncategorized/mcklinky-blog-hop-july-21st-2009-favourite-recipe/

thats my link enjoy.

momstheword said...

Isn't it great that we can laugh about that stuff now! Especially together!

BLC :o said...

Such beautiful pictures!!! Xoxo-BLC

Related Posts with Thumbnails