Friday, June 25, 2010

Wings for flying...

Wings....angel wings....fragile, translucent dragonfly wings...vibrant patterned butterfly wings...
These ones on this post are about the silver wings that my hubby received in 1988. It's a symbol of something he had dreamed of accomplishing...

Even way back when he was only 2yrs old...
(photo taken on his 2nd bday - Dec 25)

He would hold his hands and "make" them "fly". He remembers doing this when he was little.  & in this photo of him and his brother, his hand was caught in action :o)


Fast forward from 1963 to 1988...
(2nd row...he's my handsome hunk...the last one that you can see on the right).

Here's a closeup:

This slideshow has some past photos during flight school and during our first assignment at Schofield Barracks/Wheeler Airfield, Hawaii.


This photo was one I found after I made the slideshow.
It is another one of Mr. B pinning on my little wings :o) 
(1988)

Each of the spouses received mini wings too :o)
(I think it is so cute :o)
I took this by a penny dated 1988-the year he completed and graduated from flight school.
I meant to ask him where his wings are... so I could take a picture of his next to mine.

Here's Mr. B, in Iraq, after flying his Apache helicopter (aka AH-64).
...cooling off in his tent with a little photo album we sent to him in a care package.

(2003)

A wee bit late (ok...pretty late!) ...but I am hurrying to get my "W" post in at
(Thank you! Thank you! for letting me into "class", even though I am quite tardy!)

Another blogger mentioned to me to link up with
the ABC Wednesday Team's ABC Wednesday Rounds,
so I'm joining with this one too.
Please let me know from where you are hopping over from :o)

&

Here are some drawing orders inspired by a variety of "wings".

This first was actually the Solo Flight certificate that I designed for each of those in my husband's flight class to be given after their Solo Flight was taken in the little TH-55.


(The TH-55 was enitrely drawn using the words PURPLE PIRATES)

**In trying to get these posted more quickly, I have combined the drawings on Photoshop** 
You can click on each, if you wish to see a bigger view. 

The following are three separate drawings...


1. The butterfly was drawn with the name KYLA.
(This was an order that was done in memory of a beautiful young teen).

2. The dragonfly was drawn for my sweet little niece with her name BRECKEN.

3. And the hummingbird & flower were drawn with the name LORI.


These three are also separate orders.


1.The shuttle was drawn with the name JIM.

2. The two little darlings are of a brother CALVIN and his little sister JULIETTE.
(Their mom and dad wanted little angel wings on their little angels :o)

3.The flying Tigger was for a wedding gift done with John & Anmy's last name SCHRADER.

Thank you for stopping by and please do leave a comment :o) I love to hear from you and will get by to visit too :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

(***Remember to come back and check on my blog
...cuz on my 100th post, 
I will be doing some giveaways for some drawings 
and also "Percents off" gift certificates to be used towards drawing orders.***)


37 comments:

Bearly Sane said...

Coming from a military family myself (Navy Brat and Wife) I always enjoy looking at your photos...and boy do you have some photos! One of these days I must dig out a couple of my dad and hubby in uniform.
Enjoy your weekend!
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

theluckiestmrs said...

I love your teensy cute little wings! It would be cool if you put yours and dad's together! Anyway, y'all are super gorgeous in that picture from the ball!!! LOVE that dress you made! Seriously. Perfect!

Viki said...

How precious are those tiny little wings. That's so thoughtful that the military honor the spouses like that. Great pictures and drawings. Good W post.

LV said...

You handsome husband makes for a very nice post. I always enjoy hearing about any of your family. My little great grandson is only five, but going on 20, says he wants to be a Blue Angel pilot.

Tina said...

I always enjoy my visits to your blog. It's so nice to learn more about our sacrificing soldiers. You put together such lovely posts, Maria. Well done!

More Than Words said...

I know I'm redundant, but you two are such a gorgeous couple, and it just extended to your children!!!

Love the ones of the men on top of the chopper, and also him pinning your own wings on your dress!!

Christy said...

How wonderfully proud you must be! I feel like I "know" your family a little more each time I visit.

Ana Degenaar said...

Maria, your posts are incredibly inspiring, the love you show for your family is amazing, what a blessed bunch! I love this!
xo.

Anonymous said...

ahhh, Maria, another wonderful post full terrific pictures to look at! :-)

Have a great weekend!!!

Debbie Petras said...

How proud you must be of your own Mr B. I think the two of you make the cutest couple and the kids ...too cute.

I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing all of your photos and artwork.

Hugs to you,
Debbie

Vicki/Jake said...

Maria, not much more to say than the others have already. You're just amazing!

Anonymous said...

Very cool sketches. I love them.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How very sweet ~ the photos are precious! Such a nice and loving family! I love stopping by to visit with you!

Jeni said...

So impressed w/ your drawings! Love the "wing" theme!

BTW, thanks for your kind comment!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Love your post about the life and sacrifice of our soldiers! This is a great tribute to your husband. God bless him!

Roger Owen Green said...

This is a very WELCOME post.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Cheryl D. said...

I'm here for my visit to your blog! What a beautiful family! And I love Savannah. I went there once for a long weekend to go to a wedding. I fell in love with that city!

Sunshinelene said...

that's cute little wings, Maria...and sure your hubby is one cool hunk! You must be so proud of him.

Thank you for the visit.

Arlene

Mary said...

I LOVED the slide show~ I think it's so great you get mini wings of your own! Thanks for sharing :-)

Kat said...

Love your choice for W! Those little wings are so cute. Thanks for stopping by, I'll have to post the peach story sometime. Dad was a hoot! Kat

Andrea said...

I like how you got some wings also! I am always in awe of those who can "fly"!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Great artwork!

Susan Anderson said...

This is such a cool and interesting talent you've developed. I am going to get one done for my grandchildren sometime.

You and your pilot make a very cute couple!

=)

myletterstoemily said...

you must be so proud of your lovely
family! i certainly love reading about
them and looking at their gorgeous
faces. :)

blessings,
lea

Vivek said...

wow . you have got the perfect world ...the Family having everything ..full of all elements of universe.

Nice to see

have a great week ahead..

take care

KS :)

Jenny said...

I love this. The picture with his hand "flying" is precious. Your family is so neat. I love your pride and devotion to them. It warms my heart.

Please thank your husband for all the sacrifices he has made for our freedom. We are all forever grateful.

I am forever happy that you link up to Alphabe-Thursday!

My visits here are always wonderful!

A+

Michelle DeRusha said...

This is a very cool story. And I love your sketches!

Thanks for visiting Graceful last week...it's nice to meet you here.

H said...

The slideshow is brilliant :) Do you have to move around a lot as he is posted to different places?

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

I enjoyed the theme of wings for the letter W this week. You certainly have a brave, handsome husband and it was lovely to read of his dream through to the reality of achieving his wings.

I love the drawings too. A x

Jo said...

What a wonderful story, i love that spouses also got little wings! It's always so much fun to stop by your blog, your art is always outstanding!

H said...

Thanks for stopping by my FFestiniog Railway post. The story of the steam train sketch is incredible; and how much it would have meant to him!! I'm thinking that maybe 'someone' engineered the co-incidence!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Wow! I am glad you joined late. That was a great post about wings. I loved the sketches too. My son is army...so I am partial to military stories. :)

xinex said...

Mr. B sure is a hunk and you look so perfect together!..Christine

Debbiedoos said...

How adorable those pictures where...so nice that you have them. THis was a very nice post. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement as well on my Oprah gig!!~

myletterstoemily said...

thank you for your sweet comments at
my place. you are such an encouraging,
hopeful person.

i'm blessed to know you.

love,
lea

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

It never ceases to amaze me how talented you are!

Lynn Barbadora said...

As always a beautiful post Maria.....I so enjoy your slideshows and stories of your family. Your sketches are gorgeous and your talent goes beyond words!
Hugs,
Lynn

Kel said...

My Uncle is a pilot at Hickam. He is amazing too. He just too his finni flight in his F-15 at 49 because he had crossed trained to another jet. I love your sketches!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails