Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quintessential Quilts and Quilting Quandry

My very first recollection of a quilt was a scrappy, crazy quilt that my dad's mom's oldest sister (Great Aunt Mary) made for us.

Funny, but when I was little and someone would mention Great Aunt Mary...I always thought they were just talking about my dad's sister, who was named after her. And wondering why, was she called "Great" Aunt Mary and why my dad's other sisters...Aunt Annie or Aunt Kathy were not also called "Great" Aunt Annie and "Great" Aunt Kathy...cuz I thought they were equally as "great".


I remember having so much fun looking at all the scrap pieces of fabric....As a little kid, I would lay on it and just imagine what piece of clothing was made from each or make up stories about the pieces.  We were just visiting my dad, and I meant to take a picture of that quilt, but I forgot!


Quintessential: most typical representation; perfect
(The following quilts are what I call quintessential, for me they are perfection & cherished even more, since they were made by family...a "most typical representation" of the creativity, skill, and love that was put into each stitch and time spent.)

This quilt was one that was made (around the1940's or 1950's): 


...by my dad's Aunt Ann on his dad's side.
**********
These are some of the many quilts that my mom made. She didnt start doing quilts until the early 1990's. She was so gifted in so many other interests and hobbies! You can read a little more about her HERE.

She had made this block quilt for me (around 1990) in these pastels, since I liked those colors. 

And then later, she was whipping out Denim ones like wildfire!  Denim ones for Girly-Twirly, Heartbreaker, my brother, and other family and friends.

She made one of courderoy squares for my sister. And here is the white denim quilt she made for our Girly~Whirly.


All from old pants she purchased from the church thrift shop that she volunteered in.  I am in awe that she created all the quilts that she did in a short amount of time! And they are all large bed size quilts!
**********
I thought I would add these two photo taken in 1967, when we were in Massachusetts. (Not really quilt related, but I came across these when we were visiting my dad. He took these of mom, me & our dog Rascal in the "igloo" they made for me.
(...looks like I have a choke-hold on our poor pooch!)
...um...back to the topic of quilts...

Here are some cross-stitched quilts that she also made...the dark blue one to fit a full size and the smaller light blue one as a throw.


**********

This one was made by Mr. B's sister.
**********
And this one is a Hawaiian Quilt design for a pillow that was given by Mr. B's family to Girly~Twirly when she was graduating from high school. (I love the appliqued style of the Hawaiian quilts. I want to "one day" do a Hawaiian Quilt sampler of various patterns....)

Quandary: dilemma
My dilemma? ...my mathematical perplexity is...
...my unfinished quilts + my limited "free" time = my unfinished quilts!
...but I hope to get better organized and set aside some time to work on my unfinished pieces and projects.

The slideshow has some vintage quilts that I have found and purchased (hm...I think they were all bought while Mr. B was deployed ;o) Anyways...this will also explain why I am in awe at how many quilts my mom had made...because I have so-o-o many unfinished ones!



Here are some drawings that are "quilt-related". 


********
I am joining in with 2 marvelous memes of 2 lovely ladies...
with Jenny for
ALPHABE-THURSDAY "Q"




&
Alicia for 


Blessings & Aloha!
...we will be back "on the road" again! I will be sure to catch up more on my blog reading when we return. Thank you for stopping in and leaving your wonderful comments.

41 comments:

jeff campbell said...

Another fantastic post! You and I share a love for quilts...Peace and blessings

Unknown said...

These are amazing! What a great gift to have.

Anonymous said...

Oh Maria, another wonderful post! I LOVE quilts :-) I wish I had the patience and the talent for them, *sigh*, but I don't. Those are all stunning quilts!!!

and more wonderful drawings! How do you do it??? I feel so lazy compared to you ;-)

LV said...

Glad you are back with us more lately. Your post for today is right down my ally. I love all quilts, especially older ones. All the ones you shared are great and some of the patterns I have not seen. You have some real treasures there. Thanks for the quilt show.

Amanda Lee said...

Wonderful post! I, too, have many unfinished quilts! I actually donated many of them before our recent move. It was kind of liberating-- no more guilt!

Viki said...

I love all the finished and unfinished quilts. They are all just beautiful. You are especially lucky to have the ones your mom and other relatives made. Did you mom teach you how to quilt?

Sarah said...

I can understand your quandary. It's so time consuming to make a quilt top and then quilt it into a quilt. I've done three, but like you am drawn to the vintage quilts that I add to my home when I find one that speaks to me. I'm in awe of the time and talent that made each one. Thanks for sharing your quilts.

Annesphamily said...

All of your quilts are quality! I love them! I jsut could not resist one more q qord! Have a great weekend and please stop by and see me soon. Anne

Bearly Sane said...

Hi Maria!

Finally catching up with everyone again. I just love those cross stitched quilts, they are gorgeous. It must have taken your mum ages to make those ... she must have had loads of patience.

Great crafty drawings you have there today and I simply love the monograms in the previous post.

Thanks for popping by today and choosing a bag, it's always good to see you've been to visit.
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

More Than Words said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with all those quilts that were made!! My sister tried quilting for a short while and I know how much work that goes into that!!!! Those are all so beautiful. I love the Hawaiian pillow too!

Jo said...

Wonderful quilt collection... I have a lot of unfinished quilt tops at home as well ... i swear, one day i will find the time to finish them all!

Tracy said...

I am quietly in awe of your Mother I have no quilting ability BUT love them thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see home-made quilts in use as my post is about an exhibition. Beautiful skill isn't it!

Unknown said...

Dear Maria,
What a wonderful Q-post!!! Love your quilts! I like the fact that you show your works in progress, unfinished quilts. It is good to let people know what a long time it takes to make a quilt!!
Nice video.
I would have shown more than the one quilt that I have shown on my Q-post if my blog was about quilting. But since it's about jewellery-making I let the one quilt represent that word.

Maybe I'll start a blog about quilting or use one of my lesser known Swedish-language/bilingual blogs to show my attempts at quilting.

Blessings,
Anna

http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/q-as-in-quilts-quartz-abc-wednesday.html

Bacardi Mama said...

Quilting is something that I have always wanted to get into. Just like crocheting. I keep telling myself when I retire, I'll have all kinds of time. That is probably also the time that my eyes and my fingers will quit working too. Your quilts are beautiful!

Steph said...

Oh, what beautiful quilts and so dear because of the precious people they came from. I love the mental image of you laying on the bed and imagining the lives and stories behind your Great Aunt Mary's crazy quilt. It's fun to hear more about your special mother too. The igloo photos are terrific.

Unknown said...

very nice....I love quilts...

Mine is here
Happy Sensational Thursday!
hugs
shakira

Jenny said...

What a quaint and qute stop on my little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "Q".

Your quilts are lovely... the blue and white is my favorite.

And I always enjoy the family history and photos you share with us each week!

Thinking of you as you travel to your celebration...

And thinking of your great post when I say ...

A+

laterg8r said...

how gorgeous are those quilts :D

Kristen Sambs said...

I love quilts too, makes me think of my grandma...who has made so many!

I especilly love the black & whiteones of yours tht is "still in the making"...just beautiful!!

RNSANE said...

What an incredible collection of quilts...all of them masterpieces. I especially like the cross stitch ones. Sadly, there is not one quilt in my family!

Jessica said...

Beautiful quilts!! Wow you have quite a collection:) I LOVE the Hawaiian quilt...but I don't know if Hawaiian people would have much use for a quilt?? He he...My bf's mother is from Hawaii and I will ask her about these quilts. The colors are so bright and the pattern is so crisp and sharp! I love your quilt collection, you did a great job with this post:)

H said...

Wow! beautiful quilts. It is such a precious skill!

Ebie said...

These are excellent quilts! I am crocheter, and a fast one (mile-a-minute) did them when I took the commuter bus to work in downtown LA. Now I take the train and its only a 45 minute commute door to door.

Also, my hands are full with photography and blogging, so I quit crochet.

I get so excited when I meet fellow Filipino blogger. You will pick up the words eventually. I hope you mom cooked Filipino dishes, they are so delicious!

Brenda said...

You have a lot of beautiful quilts! I am sure you will get them finished one day. My post is also about a quilt. I planned on make a quilt for each of my daughters when they graduated high school. My hubs made them each a cedar chest to put the quilt in. Daughter number one got both. Daughters two and three only received the cedar chest. I am still working on middle daughters quilt and daughter number three is waiting patiently.

Christy said...

I love your quilts - someday you will finish them!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Gorgeous quilts! Handmade ones are the best.

Unknown said...

there is nothing like sleeping under a quilt made with love....happy q day!

Pondside said...

Quilts are such a big part of the link between generations of women. I have a favorite that was a wedding gift from an aunt and uncle, now gone. Whenever I look at it I think of them.

Unknown said...

I think my favorite has to be the Hawaiian pillow. i hope you find time to finish your UFO's. I'm sure they will be loved and appreciated by your family for many years.

Unknown said...

Incredible post! love all those vintage quilts! What great memories!

Unknown said...

I received and still have my quilt from Aunt Mary. She made me one because we shared the same birthday.

I love the picture of the sisters. Oh, to see the family resemblance.

You had some nice pieces started.

Anonymous said...

It's incredible how much you and your mother look alike, right down to the hairstyle.

Quilts have always been something I've admired from afar. I love how you brought this together with family photos and sketches.

Happy weekend and travel safely!

Lynn

xinex said...

You rsure have a very creative and talented family, Maria. And your mom is no exception. I love the blue and white scrolly one that she made the most, Gorgeous!....Christine

Tina said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilts! I'm in awe of anyone who can sew...Have a great trip!

Ebie said...

My kitchen is always open, if you need or if you can remember the dishes, I can send you the recipe. I am sure pancit and lumpia is always a staple.

I am posting on this blog now.

Ebie.

2003beachbunch said...

Those are all beautiful! I would eventually LOVE to learn how to quilt! I want to make something for my kids to keep forever and ever! Sweet post!!

julie king said...

what gorgeous quilts these are and such treasured family heirlooms as well. i'm so enjoying this first visit to your blog . . . the first of many!!

Laurie said...

Your quilts are absolutely to die for!!!! I LOVE vintage quilts, especially ones that have family history!

I am going to share your blog with a couple of my friends who are quilters - they will love this!

Rose Marie said...

Delightful .... I quite enjoyed seeing the slide show and your quilts! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Barb said...

Beautiful quilts -
I love the Hawaiian Pillow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails